The Henderson Writers’ Group is pleased to announce the establishment of a scholarship to be awarded to a graduating high school senior as follows:
- $1,000.00 cash to be deposited directly into the student’s college financial aid account.
- An opportunity to attend the Las Vegas Writer’s Conference full-day Saturday workshop session and evening award banquet with renowned keynote speaker, Jane Friedman, to be held on April 21, 2018, at the Tuscany Suites and Casino. This professional development opportunity represents an additional scholarship award value of $300.00.*
- Publication of the student’s creative submission in the Henderson Writers’ Group anthology, The Writer’s Bloc.
Who is Eligible:
Graduating high school seniors who plan to enroll in a two-year or four-year college or university as a full-time student and who have demonstrated creative writing ability based on the recommendation of a faculty member or advisor.
- Submit an application email including name, address, telephone number, email address, and name of school, to the Henderson Writers Group, firstname.lastname@example.org, together with the following attachments:
- Personal Statement of the student’s long-term goals and how higher education will play a role in achieving those goals; a description of how personal characteristics, educational, and extracurricular activities have contributed to form the basis of those goals; and the reason why the student believes he or she is a good candidate to receive this scholarship.
- A piece of original creative writing at least 1,500 words in length not to exceed 4,000 words in one of the following categories: fiction, nonfiction, creative nonfiction, or essay. This creative submission must be titled, page numbered, double spaced with 1-inch top, bottom, and side margins, in PDF or Word format.
- A Letter or Statement of Recommendation, signed and dated, by one faculty member or counselor submitted directly to the Henderson Writers’ Group to email@example.com, or USPS to P.O. Box 92032, Henderson, NV 89009.
*In order to receive the scholarship award, the recipient is expected to attend the full-day Saturday workshop session and award banquet of the Henderson Writers’ Group held on April 21, 2018, at the Tuscany Suites and Casino.
The deadline to submit required Application Email, Personal Statement, and Faculty or Advisor Recommendation is no later than Midnight, March 1, 2018. Student will be notified of award no later than April 1, 2018. For additional information, please call 702-994-3340.